Power Up With Breakfast
Off to a Great Start!
Breakfast gives you energy to start the day. A healthy breakfast is important for everyone. Get the morning nutrition you need with these quick breakfast ideas.
- Make instant oatmeal with milk instead of water. Mix in raisins or dried cranberries. Top with chopped walnuts.
- Layer low-fat yogurt with your favorite crunchy cereal and sliced fruit or berries.
- Mix up a breakfast smoothie made with low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana.
- Top a bowl of whole-grain cereal with blueberries, sliced peaches or any favorite fruit. Pour on low-fat or fat-free milk.
- Top a toaster waffle with low-fat yogurt and fruit.
- Stuff a whole-wheat pita with a sliced, hard-cooked egg and low-fat shredded cheese.
- Spread a flour tortilla with peanut butter. Add a whole banana and roll it up.
- Spread almond butter on a whole-grain toasted bagel. Top with apple slices.
- Add lean ham and low-fat Swiss cheese to a toasted whole-grain English muffin.
If your taste buds just don’t crave breakfast foods, try these:
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich on • whole-grain bread
- Leftover veggie pizza
- Deli turkey, a slice of low-fat cheese and lettuce wrapped in a tortilla.
- Leftover rice mixed with low-fat yogurt, dried fruit and nuts. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Authored by American Dietetic Association staff registered dietitians.